Monday, October 01, 2007

Well, the Buffs now have their signature win of the Hawk era, winning 27-24 over the stupid ugly (and fat, probably) Oklahoma Sooners. It's the biggest Colorado win since 62-36, in my estimation. for the first time in a long while, CU matters nationally for a positive reason. Stewart Mandel of si.com ranked us at #21 in his AP poll (which, by the way, accounts for all 5 of our AP points. that's POINTS, people, not VOTES, as is being erroneously reported- ahem, Buffzone). Cory McCartney, also of si.com, had this to say:

One of the culprits behind a weekend so bizarre that the Blitz is ranking it between Flavor Flav and Gary Busey-level on the crazy scale deserves major props. Second-year Colorado coach Dan Hawkins, who took over a scandal-ridden program (and went 2-10 in 2006) delivered CU's biggest win in six seasons by stunning No. 3 Oklahoma. This was no fluke: CU dominated time of possession by nearly 18 minutes (allowing the Buffs to run 36 more plays) and gained 151 more yards than OU's high-powered offense. Thanks to that touch of 'Hawk Love,' they won't call this kind of win an upset in Boulder much longer.


Pat Forde devoted his entire espn.com piece to the Buffs, while some jackass from Oklahoma blames the altitude. Funny, it didn't seem to bother Florida State. Sour grapes, Oklahoma, sour grapes indeed. Just man up and admit we kicked your illiterate asses, m'kay?
As for the game itself? I had to record it and watch it later, which meant avoiding all college football coverage and turning off my cell phone, because I fully expected text/ voice messages regardless of the outcome. Well, the game was awesome (duh). It only took Hugh Charles 3 and a half years to turn into a tough running back, and just like I said before- if the receivers catch the ball, defenses have to respect the vertical passing game and all the wackadoo formations will mean something. It was great to see Patrick Williams get his confidence back and catch the ball. We're gonna need him. And Kai Maiava? Dude is awesome. I smell what the Rock's nephew is cooking. Anyway, y'all know what happened- we won the game on Kevin Eberhart's last second kick (maybe we should only kick it when it's a game winner). I turned my phone back on and I had 19 text messages. nineteen. I'm pretty positive that I don't have 19 actual friends, so I don't know what's going on there. Hell, I barely have 19 fake internet friends on myspace, and I'm friends with Zubaz Pants and a Sandwich.
Finally, the newest and definitely greatest part about cubffs.com is "Blogging with Hawk." Look, just go read it because it, like Hawk himself, is awesome. He likes cowboys, apparently. In his second installment, we find out that his wife likes ABBA and he tells us to "just keep pumping the pump." I have no idea what that means. I used to have a pair of shoes with little pumps in them, but I still can't dunk. Stay tuned for the update when I get home from work. On my camera, I've got a screen cap of the little Oklahoma kid crying, and the only thing greater than a little kid crying would maybe be a cheerleader crying. the moral of the story is: It's funny when pretty girls are sad. At least I think that's the moral. It certainly was my senior quote in high school.
UP NEXT:
the Baylor Bears. It's not often that any team can use the "revenge factor" in a game against Baylor, but such was the state of the 2006 CU football team. I can easily see Baylor being a let down game, so hopefully Hawk uses his Hawkness to keep the guys pumped. Or maybe they should find some cheerleaders to pump their pumps for them.
Baylor's mascot is a bear named Judge. Seriously- Judge. Our mascot is named after the sound students make when they vomit after drinking too much (I am not making this up), and their mascot is named after a guy in a powdered wig and bathrobe who bangs a little wooden hammer. On an awesome note, Baylor took my suggestion to heart, and actually has live bears. I also know that Baylor is the token shitty private school in a BCS conference (Duke, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Stanford) and only recently began allowing students to dance. Imagine, generation after generation of Baylor students who couldn't learn the Electric Slide. From a football perspective, their coach is a guy named Guy, and they probably have players of some sort. In recent years, their most dangerous weapon was a punter, but he's gone now. The line for entertainment purposes only opens at Colorado -8.5.
UPDATE: Obvioulsy, Baylor should've stuck to their no dancing rule:

1 comment:

@slushygutter said...

Pat Forde is a Colorado guy. He played for Gary Barnett in HS, Ive always admired his work.

The game was freaking amazing. A true Colroado day with the weather, the beautiful stadium, the fans. Oh, and a few beers.

Our conditioning paid off dont you think? Okie looked like they were sucking it in the 4th.