Monday, September 10, 2007


I think we'll start with the Bronco game and work backwards this week, because there is much to discuss re: college.

BIG MONEY:
  • Travis Henry. Your Babbydaddy runs like he has mouths to feed. He also catches and blocks. Tatum Bell did none of those things.
  • Cornerbacks. Maybe this is just because I like Losman, but Champ and Dre had it on lock. Hopefully this continues. Because the rest of the secondary (Lynch, Shoate, Ferguson, Foxworth, Cox, Abdullah) came in somewhere between average and wet hot ass.
  • Tom Nalen. Dear Paul Posluszny, welcome to the NFL. Love, Tom
WHAMMIES OF THE WEEK:
  • Matt Lepsis. Eesh. Hopefully this is more about Aaron Schobel being a demon, and less about Lepsis being a year older and coming off of injury, because Nalen got abused. For a guy who's going to be seeing the likes of Messrs. Freeney, Merriman, and Kampman, this is concerning.
  • Ian Gold. Ian Gold can go straight to hell. He has gone from decent to serviceable to bad to shit. Someone take him on a side field and teach him how to form tackle. He's supposed to have the speed to cover tight ends, but he apparently doesn't have the instincts, because he's bad at it.
  • Paul Smith, Cecil Sapp, Mike Bell, Andre Hall. If even one of these guys is 75% as effective as Kyle Johnson in any phase of the game, I'll be amazed. That fact that they're all on the roster is a travesty. I'm probably going to keep harping on this, so get ready.
STOP!
There was a whole lot of hit and miss this weekend, which is to be expected for week one. There was some seriously questionable play calling (2 straight to Sapp inside the 5?), and some seriously bad special teams play. It's too early to make assumptions, and I'm no expert on special teams expert, but what the fuck is Scott O'Brien teaching? His chosen guy- Paul Smith-, was invisible, Elam was about 3 inches from going 1-4 on field goal, Sauerbrun out kicked his coverage, we still get no pressure (when was the last time Denver had a blocked kick?), and Hixon looks to be another of the same on returns. This looks like another year of extremely underwhelming special teams. Also, why is it that Champ can't play offense or return kicks because of injury risk, but he can play tackling dummy on kick coverage?

How does Cecil Fucking Sapp get the ball twice in a row inside the 5 yard line?

I love Gus Johnson. I'm gonna have Gus Johnson announce the birth of my children:
"HERE COMES THE HEAD, IT'S CROWNING, AND IT'S... IT'S... IT'S... IT'S A BOY!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!!!!!"

Cutler kills me. I wish he was someone else's QB. Not because I don't like him- rather, because I would enjoy the bad plays that end up as wins vs. the horrible plays that end up as losses. Still- gotta love the kid's physical skills and apparent leadership. It sure is nice to come off of an opening road game with a win. I forgot what that felt like. Much more to come, when I get some time.

I really love Marshawn Lynch, he was known in Pac 10 circles to be, um, interesting, to say the least, even by Oakland standards (his hometown). Before Denver signed Babbydaddy, I was talking on one message board or other that Denver should trade up for Lynch, when others were arguing Adrian Peterson. Last year, I was really hoping Ohio State safety Dante Whitner would fall to Denver at 15 (after we traded up, but before we traded UP). He was picked by Buffalo at 9, and we got Cutler. Whitner was the guy making every single tackle against us. I'm just saying, is all.

PS- Get well Kevin Everett. That said, I hope kids don't believe Randy Cross when he said Everett made a perfect form tackle. Far from- he completely went in head first. Here's hoping he makes enough of a recovery to lead a close to normal life, at the very least. And that players everywhere start learning not to tackle like that.
----------------
Now playing: Genius/GZA - Life Of A Drug Dealer
via FoxyTunes

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, where to begin. First of all, good thing you didn't say you would have rather had Donte Whitner than Jay Cutler at the beginning of the entry because I would have stopped reading right there. You can't be serious with that. Regardless of his mistakes, that last minute drive he led us on was pretty amazing. Cutler made some GREAT plays over the course of the game. Mistakes are to be expected from a young QB in his 6th start. He can't be John Elway in his first start. What QB would you rather have? As for Nalen, LOL at him being under big money. He couldn't get that shotgun snap to Cutler to save his life. I counted a good 4-5 shotgun snaps that were low. Also curious that you didn't mention the last second FG, that being one of the greatest plays I have ever seen. I think you also could have added DJ Williams, and our WR corps to the big money. And I see you are still bitching about Kyle Johnson. I usually enjoy reading your blogs but this one wasn't one of your best.

Ok, my rant is over!