Monday, October 08, 2007


We're gonna need that coat back, Mike.

I'm going to go ahead and call this as the absolute bottom of the barrel. Denver's been teetering in the breeze for a while now, what with 13-3 leading to 9-7 and all. Then comes this season and Ben Hamilton's done for the year. Rod Smith is physically unable to perform (and I've heard nothing suggesting that he's ready to return). Javon Walker's been out because of his surgically repaired knee. John Lynch missed time. And now Tom Nalen may be out for a while, and Champ Bailey, Brandon Stokley, and Nate Jackson all come out of the weekend hurting. Not to mention our 40 million dollar pot head running back. To top it off, Denver just gave up 41 points to a Norv turner coached team, while acquiring only 3 of their own against a Ted Cottrell coached defense. Both of those coaches, by the way, are terrible. So can it really get any worse? I don't think it can. even if we lose out the season (not bloody likely), I will still look back at this week as the low point. Everything else will just be struggling to maintain that same low point.

Now there are going to be a lot of people calling for Shanahan's head, but even though I've been more critical of him than just about anyone, you won't hear it from me. Not to say that I adore the guy, I just don't believe Shanahan is necessarily the problem. I believe that college scouting and the position coaches are where the problems lie. I don't want Bill Cowher. I am fine with Shanahan and a completely new set of position coaches (less Bobby Turner) along with a new director of college scouting. There just needs to be an influx of new ideas, which we haven't had as long as Shanahan has been in charge. Holmgren didn't make the Super Bowl when he was the boss of everything, either. I don't want Urban Meyer, I want Dan Mullen- his offensive coordinator. For too long, this team has been put together with bandaids and a wish, and it's led to some decidedly less than mediocre seasons, despite extremely mediocre talent. Now it's being exposed. Put it this way- I think it's very telling that high school and college players have 4 years with a coach, and then move on. At some point, the team gets stale, they become numb to the message, and the coaching gets staid and stubborn. I believe this to be the case.
I think it's best that we just completely forget this game ever happened, so I'm not going to recap. Let's just say that Denver sucked in every way possible to suck (much like your mom- ZING!). I would like to single out something Brandon Marshall said following the loss:
"Don't boo us when we're down," he pleaded. "That's bandwagon. ... I love you
all to death, but at the same time, that's not first class."
Even though I wasn't at the game, so I couldn't leave early or boo, I'm going to speak for every Bronco fan ever when I say the following: Fuck you, Brandon Marshall. You assholes deserved to be booed, all the way up and down the organization. We're the people who have sold out every home game since forever. we're the people who financed a new stadium for you, even though it cost us a shitpile of money, made the Broncos organization a shitpile of money, even while only affording a whopping SEVEN more people to watch the games live. you, especially deserved to be booed back to the stone age, since you couldn't tuck the ball away, thus killing a potential scoring drive and pretty much ending all hope of coming back. You, especially, because I have never seen anyone loaf as much as you did in the second half- barely jogging through your routes and making middling efforts at catching the ball. If you can't do your HIGH PAYING JOB for the entirety of 60 minutes, why in the fuck do you get the right to call out anyone who is PAYING FOR THE RIGHT TO WATCH YOU PLAY LIKE SHIT as low class. you can go straight to hell.
UPDATE II: From the man I wish was my father, comes the following:
Ease up on the Denver Broncos- they have one of the great coaches in the game and a solid organization. I’ll bet you have had some rough spots in your life too, that’s when people need the most support. Be strong when it’s easy to be weak. The Bronc’s will get through it.
Thank you, Hawk Blog. You are my new Bible.

6 comments:

Hercules Rockefeller said...

Amen, brother.

Jewger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jewger said...

It just dawned on me that Bronco nation is irate at the quality of play because Shanny forgot to tell them there were in the middle of a rebuilding process. New QB, young WRs, young D-Line surrounded by journeymen vets, Jon Lynch...

Hallux Valgus said...

That's not really true- Denver always has young receivers because they suck at drafting receivers. you can't convince me that, after an offseason of signing high priced guys like Graham and Henry, as well as trading for Dre Bly and signing Simeon Rice, that Shanahan intends this to be a rebuilding year. Journeyman vets is pretty much the status quo.

Drunk on a Wednesday said...

MARTY! MARTY! MARTY!

Anonymous said...

Ok, so there I went, delving into the blog to see a rather insightful article about the atrocious game. But here I am just being brutally honest; you couldn't make it an entire post without referencing CU football. It's not like Hawkins didn't make a convincing or relevant point. And it's fine if that's where your allegiance is, especially after this piss poor showing of a season for our Broncos, but let's then remove the thin veil of this being a Broncos blog when 5 of the last 10 posts are about CU (including a novel of a game diary as the longest post ever) and only 2 actually are specifically about the Broncos. I love reading this blog, but it seems like it, much like the Broncos, has lost some direction. I'm sure my point will be overshadowed by some swipe at me however, and you as the author, will write what you desire, when you desire to write it, but I have to call it how I see it.